Sunday, October 2, 2016

Show Piggies

Helloooooo world

Thought I'd share a project I finished yesterday and see if I can get back into the swing of writing a few blog posts now and then. My, how I've neglected this blog. But I'm super excited to share this project. I call it a dimensional card but I'm not sure if it's a card? I suppose you could call it a diorama. So, what happened was that I watched this tutorial by Kelly Latevola and decided I wanted to try my hand at free-style coloring some curtains. She used copics while I used spectrum noir markers but I was really very pleased with the results considering it was my first time trying something like that. Getting started was really the most intimidating part.



Well, so then I decided I'd try to shade the scallop edges cause they just looked too white and flat. I realized that shading white things is not my thing. lol. Definitely need more practice with that technique but it wasn't bad enough for me to toss the entire piece.


I'd been itching to use the new stamp set by MFT called "Hog Heaven" which I purchased not too long ago from Jamie in her Not2Shabby shop here. It has the cutest little piggies and one of them has WINGS people!!! Well, I thought a flying piggie would make for a pretty amazing show and add to that some dramatic curtains and VOILA!....


That's what I came up with and it's also my contribution for World Card Making Day. I originally planned on using foam tape to add dimension but it just wasn't enough. I felt like this card and the scene I had in my head needed more dimension and depth and it would require way more foam tape than I was willing to spare. So, I created an accordion style frame that's about 4-5 folds deep (7 score marks spaced at 1/4"). Had I watched this tutorial, or something like it, I probably would have struggled less and it would look slightly less wonky, but overall, I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. You can't tell, but the flying piggy is actually suspended by a thin thread so he dangles to and fro. lol. He spins so I really need to add a mirror image but I didn't have time.


Used the cloud die from the ME Landscape Trio die set and MFT's grassy hills die. Also, used a Tim Holtz stencil for the sun rays and had some wood grain patterned papers that I used for the stage floor and for the fence (I simply stamped the fence image onto the paper and fussy cut it out). I also fussy cut the piggies...and the curtains...you probably already figured that out. lol



Anyway, cute, right?!

Until next time. Have a blessed & crafty day!

Bettina :)




No comments:

Post a Comment