Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Shabby Vintage Pennant

Hello crafty friends,

Time for another post. My plans to enter lots of challenges have been foiled (by life--lol) but I managed one more timely entry. Yay! It's for Tina Cappa's 500+ subbie challenge on YouTube. You can click here to get all the lovely details. Her challenge ends on the 15th of October so there's a little bit of time if you'd like to join.

UPDATE: Tina has extended the deadline for her challenge until the end of October, so YAY! Lots of time to join in!

Here's my entry:

It's a pennant!!! Never made one before let alone in the style Tina requested: shabby or shabby vintage. Whether or not I succeeded with the style I'm really happy with how it turned out. While I struggled with a lot of decisions about which embellishments to use, I knew for sure I wanted to use the lace. I also thought this Gorjuss Girl image would work well. I paper-pieced her dress and colored her in with Spectrum Noir markers. Then I used a Label Eight die from Spellbinders and used some distress ink around the edges. Well, it turned out to be a little bit too large for the pennant so I decided to frame the image using a pre-cut frame (came in a pkg with a bunch of different sizes by Recollections); the shape was similar to the Label Eight but smaller and I liked the dimension. I painted it off-white (because it was brown), and cut the image to fit. 

The pennant is a piece of 6.5" x 7.5" chipboard that I covered in lovely papers from the DCWV The Primrose stack. That stack has beautiful papers in soft blues, soft blacks, pale greens, & pinks with lots of florals & birds and it just feels very vintage. I layered a pink print on top of a music sheet print and cut the pink print paper slightly smaller. I roughed up all the edges of all the papers and made some tears in the pink print so that some of the music print could show through. The back is covered with a soft blue printed paper from the same stack. Before I placed the first layer of paper down, I placed some black self-adhesive lace on a roll to frame out the shape. You can just see it peeking out.



Next I placed the framed image somewhat centered and glued the lace, pearl trim, and rose trim in place.

The flowers are all by Recollections. The layered flowers come in a mixed package where some of the flowers have print and some are plain. I layered them and used brads to hold them together and hot glued them in place. Then I surrounded them with pink & blue roses (also from Recollections). I also added some random gems from my stash and created a couple of bows.


To get the ends of the bows to curl, I actually wrapped them around a metal crochet hook and zapped it with my heat tool; kind of like a mini curling iron. I love the effect of the curls.


Finally, I decided to add a removable charm dangle that I made with some beads and chain from my stash. (I love all sorts of crafts so I have lots of different kinds of material). I think it adds a sweet touch, don't you? And as a bonus, she can remove it and put it on anything she wants. Love the butterfly!


I used my crop-a-dile to punch two holes and add eyelets. I didn't have white ones in the right size, so I used the blue-ish ones I had instead. It still works although I'm thinking of painting them white?....


So, that's my entry for Tina Cappa's challenge. Hope you go check out Tina's channel and I hope you enjoyed my project and maybe got inspired to make something. I really enjoyed making this sweet pennant.

Thanks for stopping by.

Have a blessed & crafty day.

Hugs~Bettina :)

Supplies:

Stamp: Gorjuss Girl-"You brought me Love"

Inks: Memento Tuxedo Black, Tim Holtz distress ink: Peacock Feathers
Spectrum Noirs: hair: EB3, EB5, EB8, IG10; face & skin: TN2, FS3, FS2, CR3; dress top ruffle: CR3, PP2, PP6; dress slip: BG1, BG2, blender
Papers: DCWV The Primrose Stack; chipboard (1/8")
Dies: Spellbinders Nestabilities Label Eight
Embellishments: Recollections Lace on a roll; Recollections floral embellishments & roses; Recollections pearl brads; Celebrate It Nylon ribbon-white; miscellaneous lace, pearl trim & gem stones; miscellaneous beads (probably Bead Landing), chains & findings

No comments:

Post a Comment