Friday, September 22, 2017

MFT 2017 Design Star contest entries

Hi,

Here are the projects I entered in the MFT 2017 Design Star contest. I know I probably won't win (not saying that because I'm a pessimist...just being realistic....and also I've seen all the other WAY more AMAZING entries. lol) but it challenged me to try some new techniques and to just make something.

Anyway, the first card I entered in the Innovation category. I had intended it to light up once you pull the slider tab, but couldn't figure out how to hide some of the mechanism since the copper part of the wire needed to stay loose...and I didn't just want it to light up by pressing on a designated spot. So, I made it a simple slider card. It still has the LED light because I couldn't bear to tear the entire card apart to dig it out. lol


 

The next category I entered was the CAS (clean and simple) category and this, for me, is a real challenge. I love adding lots of details, dimension, and colors to my cards. White space, at least when I make a card, looks incomplete. When I look at the other entries they look so effortless and perfectly designed. And then......there's mine....




It looks a little bland and top-heavy but I love using copper colored embossing powder on fall sentiments so that's my favorite part about this card besides that super cute harvest mouse.

Oh, and then there's the card that JUST DIDN'T GET FINISHED IN TIME. The struggle, people! Why is September so busy?! I thought I'd have lots of time to craft with the kiddos back in school...clearly I was mistaken. TBH I really didn't even think I would enter the Coloring Virtuoso category at all...but around dinner time I got the idea for the card. But there was so much going on between late errands, kiddo pickups and drop-offs, I literally met myself coming and going and in between I tried to design the card and just figuring out the masking took 3 tries. Even the final card has a mistake but I wasn't starting over yet again so I found a way to cover it up...ish. Anywho, even though this card didn't get done until 2am...4 hours past the entry deadline, I still wanted to share it real quick. Of all the cards I entered, this one might have stood a chance a winning; I'm really happy with how it turned out.




I've never done this much masking on a card before in my life. #maskingisnojoke lol. I have much newfound respect for all you masking geniuses out there.

Hope this post gave you some inspiration. And even if you don't think your project is "good enough" to enter in a contest...do it anyway! You'll inspire someone just to TRY, which is ultimately all that matters, and you'll learn so much in the process.

Well, time to sign off once again. Thanks for stopping by and hope to see you again real soon.

Have a blessed & crafty day,
Hugs,
Bettina :)




No comments:

Post a Comment